Owning a home comes with built-in expenses. You must maintain the structure inside and out and ensure the major systems are always in good working order. Other than the house payment itself, your utility systems are the next largest expense when it comes to servicing or replacing them.
The central air system in your home can become an even bigger expense if the system needs replacing. But, to ensure your family’s comfort and making sure your property holds its value for possible future sale, your system must be in excellent shape.
Before you have a new AC system installed you must do a bit of research to make sure you’re getting the best deal, the best system for your home at the best price.
What Do I Need to Know About AC Installation?
When shopping around for a reputable AC installation company you need to ask the right questions:
- What type of system do I need? A reputable company will calculate based on your home’s need and not try to sell you a system that’s bigger.
- Is my ductwork adequate and in good condition? A thorough inspection of your ductwork should be done to make sure it will last and it doesn’t have leaks.
- Is the company you’re considering bonded and insured? For your protection professional companies will meet this requirement.
- Do they offer new technologies and are they suitable for your home? Ask about options like a ductless system and digital thermostats.
- Is the system they recommend energy-efficient? Find out the SEER rating as a rating of 16 will earn you tax credits. Ask for an estimate in energy bill reduction.
- Find out what brands they sell and research their consumer ratings online. Try to find reviews from buyers with a home similar to yours.
- Ask about permits. Professional companies take care of this for you.
- Do they have financing? Most homeowners don’t have thousands of dollars available to just write a check for a new system. Ask about financing options and terms.
- Do they guarantee their work? Companies with expert installation teams will often give guarantees.
- What is the time-frame for a completed installation? Some companies aren’t as efficient as others. Ask for a time-frame in writing so you aren’t waiting weeks for the completed install.
How Do I Know What AC Unit to Buy?
Once you’ve done your due diligence and found an AC installation company, you need to know which type of system to buy. Knowing about the various types of systems will be helpful when the company returns with options.
There are several types of central air condition units available that all function the same way. They cool your whole house as air flows through a ductwork system traveling to each room in your home. Depending on the setting it can deliver cold or warm air.
The system consists of a condenser, an air-handling unit with blower (forced air,) ductwork and evaporator coil. The unit is typically placed outside the home with the air-handler and evaporator placed in the basement, garage or attic. It uses refrigeration to cool the air that flows through your home.
The most energy-efficient models have a high SEER rating, typically around 16. To achieve this high rating they have one or more of the following features:
- High Temperature Rating or EER
- Large Coils
- Blower with Variable-Speed Function
- Fan-Only Switch
- Auto-Delay Fan Switch
- Indicator Light for the Filter
Discuss these features with your chosen installation company and they can recommend the brand that is the right size for your specific home.
How Much Does AC Installation Cost?
In 2021 the average national cost of a new AC system installation varies from between $3,000 to $7,000. However depending on the size of your home and how many floors you have can go up to around $20,000. The final cost depends on the size of system needed, brand and whether or not you need ductwork repaired or replaced.
The best way to gauge what a new system will cost for your home is to get more than one bid. Typically 3 bids will give you the best idea of the total cost.
Having ductwork in great shape and a company with excellent financing will be the optimal situation for any homeowner replacing an AC system. A reputable company will work with you to ensure your home is comfortable all year round with a properly working system that is affordable.
32 Degrees Heating & Air Conditioning has been installing high-functioning systems in the region for many years. Our reputation for integrity and excellence is well-known. To schedule a system inspection with our team of experts, contact us today. We’ll provide you with a quote and the best system option for your home.